I enjoy supporting organisations, networks or funding agencies to develop situation-specific approaches to evaluation that encourage participation and innovation, address learning and / or accountability needs and maximise the chances of achieving sustainable results. Learn more: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/richard-smith/32/369/879
• Advisor, KPMG East Africa, documenting and analysis of Accountability Tanzania (AcT) programme results: 2014 & 2016
• Trainer, Outcome Harvesting, International Federation of Redcross & Redcrescent Societies
• Evaluator, Global Network for Disaster Reduction
• Lead evaluator, Penal Reform International, Bangkok Rules on women in detention
• Lead evaluator, World Bank, Governance Partnership Facility, Mongolia
• Lead evaluator, Search for Common Ground, The Team Tanzania
• Lead evaluator, Oxfam GB, Chukua Hatua governance programme, Tanzania
• Advisor to Action to Regenerate Community Trust on using Outcome Mapping in project planning
• Advisor to Oxfam GB on monitoring of GROW, Oxfam's largest multi-national campaign, with a focus on food justice and climate change: http://tinyurl.com/chku8cb
• Monitoring & Evaluation Researcher: Outcome Mapping applications, adaptations and support needs (client: Overseas Development Institute / Outcome Mapping Learning Community). Published on the OMLC as '10 years of Outcome Mapping'
• Evaluator of an international child protection network (client: Oak Foundation)
• Co-author of a peer-reviewed paper for http://betterevaluation.org/ on using Outcome Harvesting in an evaluation of a science-for-development network
I was first inspired to learn about Outcome Mapping when I was seeking a planning and evaluation framework that made sense for an international voluntary network providing capacity development and advocacy services. Through this interest I:
- Influenced a bilateral donor to use Outcome Harvesting to evaluate a multi-donor programme planned and monitored using a logical framework, then led the programme’s participation in the evaluation and negotiation with the evaluators
- Developed a global and regional level strategy using Outcome Mapping
- Participated in the OM Lab 2012
- Explored the use of OM with complementary approaches in various evaluations in Africa and Asia (see OM experience)
Outcome Harvesting; project / programme design & evaluation; M&E research; M&E mentoring and training; network strategies and organisational development.
Expertise: agriculture, biodiversity and climate change; governance; CSO capacity development.